Wednesday, August 25, 2010

just couchsurfing?

I am 21 years old and I have travelled to over 30 countries, both on my own funds and with family. I have stayed in hostels, hotels, airport floors and the family homes of total strangers whose language I could not speak. I honestly love travelling and the vast array of experiences and adventures it can offer.


With that in mind, and to speak frankly for a moment, I am a little concerned about the fact that we seem to be focusing exclusively on the budget end of travel and generalizing as a result. Considering the trend in our posting and (sorry folks, unblogged) team meetings, you could be forgiven for thinking that not only is travel agency dead, but also the hotel, the hostel, business class air travel, and luggage weighing over 5kg. They are not; the safety and luxury of other forms of accommodation will always be in demand for those seeking that kind of experience and comfort. That isn’t to say, however, that these types of travel haven’t changed as a result of interface with online services, and this is something I would really like to see explored in our piece as Pip suggests (unless we do decide to restrict it to couchsurfing alone).


Referencing an article from MIT’s Sloan Review (to which I have as yet been unable to gain full access beyond the abstract through the university), Wikipedia’s article on travel agency suggests that the internet has contributed to the downfall of many value-added intermediary services, including travel agency. This disintermediation, it is argued, stems from travel and hospitality businesses increasingly using their websites as primary points of interaction with potential clients and, subsequently, as points of sale. What, then, remains of travel agency as a profession? Has it actually benefited in any way from interaction with the internet, or could it be becoming another redundant profession?


Watch this space for a (potential) video interview with my friend Roz from Jetset, who has agreed in principle to help us out.


Until then, YouTube hasn’t been particularly forthcoming with illustrative videos on this particular subject, so here’s what my mum thought couchsurfing was:


No comments:

Post a Comment